Research shows that individual learning plans are linked to improved academic motivation, engagement, decision making, and personal accountability.
The tool GetWorkerFIT™ utilizes is an online career assessment and planning tool that equips individuals with a plan, geared toward in-demand careers.
The assessment will require 2-3 hours to complete because it is a comprehensive tool that personalizes a program unique to you, and integrates multiple layers of data from many search functions. You can pause the assessment, if you need to, so don’t let that concern you.
Once you have completed the assessment, you will schedule a session with your Career Coach. He/She will walk through your results with you and help you in preparing your road map and next steps to a great job and career
“Take your time. We are excited for you, and we look forward to talking to you after this first step.”
PhysicalFIT is brief screen of your musculoskeletal fitness to assess your readiness to perform physical work tasks. It includes validated, objective measures of movement flexibility, balance, agility, grip strength, and dynamic lift/carry strength. The screen maximizes job safety and productivity by matching pre-qualified job seekers to physically-suitable job options.
PhysicalFIT includes the following exam components:
- Vital signs – Resting blood pressure and pulse are assessed.
- Near/Far Visual Acuity – Visual difficulty is a modifiable risk factor that affects quality, productivity, or safe performance on a broad range of work tasks, including computer operation for near field or vehicle operation or far field vision.
- Active Movement Screen (AMS) consists of a series of 25 movements to assess musculoskeletal fitness. This evaluates a worker’s flexibility and balance as they perform active movements such as squatting or standing on each leg for 15 seconds. These movements are rated on a scale from 0 (unable to perform) to 4 (normal movement).
- Two Square Agility Test (TSAT) measures dynamic agility and fall risk by time required to rapidly step forward and back between two squares that are marked by tape.
- Grip Strength Test (GST) is a validated measure of right and left grip force that has standardized normative data for comparison purposes.
- Lift/Carry Strength (LCS) measures lower lift strength, overhead lift strength and short carry strength. This lift/carry task assesses physical materials handling strength.
What we know from the research and common sense, if an employee is not physically able to perform job tasks, they have a significantly higher risk of sustaining an injury. The literature also shows that if an employee is physically able to perform the essential functions of the job, they will:
- Have a reduced likelihood of sustaining an injury
- Stay employed in that job for a longer period of time
- Have a higher job satisfaction rating
Once you have completed your AssessFIT Certification, you have several options for making sense of your results. Career Coaching helps you sort through your assessment results and understand your current as well as future job options based on your education/training plan.
A GWF Certified Coach can help you think through your options and select a path that is right for you. If necessary, they can help you become aware and work through the process of securing financial resources that might be available to support additional education.
All GWF Certified Coaches will recommend that you take the GWF Professional Skills Certification Program. The GWF Certification assures future employers that you have the essential professional skills required for the world of work.
Your GWF Certified Coach will also recommend that you develop the skills to utilize the functions of Microsoft Office. If you choose a career path in a physically demanding job, your GWF Career Coach may also suggest you take the PhysicalFIT assessment to assure your future employer that you are physically able and safe to do the work required by the position(s).
GetWorkerFIT™ (GWF) Professional Skills Certification
Why Get a GWF Professional Skills Certification?
For the past four years, numerous organizations such as:
Chegg 2014, Deloitte 2016, Gallup 2016 and Accenture 2017 have released reports documenting the skills gap between companies new hire entry level recruits and the actual skills needed for the job.
Chegg’s research looked deeply at the disconnect from the perspective of the employer, university faculty and recent graduates and found that 93% of Employers believed that Universities were failing in developing the skills among their graduates that were most critical for employers.
In this same study 80% of college graduates reported that they felt that their Universities had let them down in preparing them with the skills for the world of work. And yet, 98% of faculty, participating in the same survey, felt they were doing a good job of preparing graduates for work and for life. This study went on to define what employers want.
Employers Want Graduates Who Can:
- Communicate in all Forms
- Utilize Microsoft Office & Internet Plus Tools
- Utilize Innovative Thinking & Problem Solving Skills
- Have Business Acumen
- Work in Teams to Execute Against Goals
- Adapt to Change
Accenture (2017) defined these as the Essential Skills for employees across all industry sectors.
The GWF Certification was designed to guarantee employers that new hires have the skills they require.
Who Should Get a GWF Certification?
GWF was designed to help persons entering the job market for the first time either from high school or from a community college or university as well as those persons who are looking to change jobs or re-enter the workforce. GWF support assists participants in identifying what the best career field and job is for them and outlines the required training, education and/or certifications required for the job.
How Do You Get a GWF Certification?
There is only one way to earn a GWF Certification. You must enroll and take the GWF Certification online courses, register and pass five experiential labs*.
*Currently GWF is offered in Southern California, Ohio, and Florida.
How Much Time Will It Take?
If you participate in the GWF Program including taking the assessments and working with a coach, you can complete the program in 70-75 hours as follows:
- AssessFIT : 2 hours online assessment
- Coaching : 1.5 hours
- GetWorkerFIT™ Certification : 70 hours (5 hours on line + 2 hour experiential lab x 10)
How Do I Register?
There are three ways to register for the GWF Certification Program:
- Individual Self-Pay
Any individual may click here and register to begin the GWF Certification Program.
- Third-Party Program Participant
GWF works with many agencies including high schools, community colleges, local libraries, adult education programs, veterans programs, non-profit and government WIOA funded programs that support both qualifying youth and adults in obtaining skills for the world of work. Our partners often provide partial or full financial support for participants to participate in the GWF program
- Employer Participation
Many employers are looking for ways to advance the skills of their workforce while providing transportable credentials for their employees.
How Does It Work?
There are 6 easy steps to complete the certification process:
- Step One: Register and begin by taking AccessFIT to determine the right job and/or career pathway for you.
- Step Two: Participate in a small group coaching session to complete your individual career plan.
- Step Three: If your career options indicate that you would be best suited for a job that has physical requirements, you will be advised to take the PhysicalFIT assessment so that employers know that you are physically able to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Step Four: Enroll in the appropriate educational program or certification program including GWF Certification required for your career pathway. Your GWF Certified Coach will support you in identifying if you need to participate in other training programs to be qualified for a job in your match area. Based on your career pathway, there may be additional scholarships or grants available to support you with the additional training you will require to become qualified for the job.
- Step Five: If you have not participated in the job search process, you will want to engage in FinishFIT, which will help you develop your resume, engage in interviewing skills and how to professionally represent yourself to employers.
- Step Six: Because you are enrolled in GetWorkerFIT™, you will automatically be enrolled in JobFIT. JobFIT is a job candidate data base provided to employers who are looking for certified, pre-qualified job candidates. As you engage in the GWF Certification program, your profile will automatically update so that employers can review your credentials even before you have completed the program. Those candidates who match with an employer’s profile and credential requirements will be notified, by the employer, of an opportunity to be interviewed or participate further in the employer’s hiring process.
FinishFIT is an optional program that supports GetWorkerFIT™ participants in preparing for the job search and interviewing process. Through a blended program participants focus on:
- Customer Service
- Confidentiality in the Workplace
- Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Interviewing Skills
- Professional Image
As a part of the FinishFIT program, participants take courses online and then work with a virtual GWF Certified Coach who reviews the participants resume and cover letter and provides virtual mock interviews. Participants get direct feedback on how to improve their overall presentation of their skills and competencies both in written formats as well as in person.
As soon as you register to take the GWF program you are in our job matching database.
Some of our students come to us with degrees, certifications or other competencies that go into their profile right away. Don’t worry if your just starting out because as you complete your GWF micro-certifications that are added to your profile so that you can be searched and found by employers. The great part of our software is we use an algorithm that matches your education, skills, competencies and even physical abilities with the requirements of the job. So what that means is an employer can search for you AND you can also search the database for jobs that are just the right fit for you. The profile you build is unique to you and there is no limit on how great you will become.